.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Computer Careers Book

Blog Search Engine

Saturday, November 25, 2006

 
Notes on outsourcing of customer service
For those of you concerned about the outsourcing of customer service to reps living in India, I have good news from a "secret" source. Dell Computer is concerned about how using customer service reps in India is affecting their reputation. They plan to start moving their customer service operations back to North America.

I rarely watch TV, but on Thanksgiving I did see some, and couldn't be notice during a commercial for Gateway Computers that they used "North American based customer service" as a benefit or selling point. Maybe that affected Dell's decision.

Of course, this is not to knock Indian customer service reps. They could not do worse than the American techie I had a few years ago who worked for Microsoft. He refused to read or understand what I wrote to him in my emails, just scanned them for keywords and sent back canned replies that didn't address MY problem. I finally got satisfaction from a supervisor.

My cousin told me that he had a quite positive experience with an Indian woman -- "Grace" -- when he needed help with a wireless router for his home network. It took an hour and a half, but they finally got it working. He said that she knew what she was doing and was very patient. There were only a few times when he didn't understand her due to her accent and she didn't understand him due to him using some slang.

The latest page added to my site is:

Knoppix for Not Yet Techies





Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger Add to My Yahoo!